Thursday, April 22, 2010

Blaze – Automated Desktop Experience

This freeware is an enhancement over the Launchy. This is much more superior in functionality. The key feature is to launch a program, just by typing few key strokes. No need to use mouse. Press the short-cut key, default is CTRL-ALT-SPACE. You will get a small pop-up window of Blaze. Type “Inter” to launch “Internet Explorer”. Blaze is smart. It will remember history and can suggest you “Internet Explorer”, just even by typing “I”. It will expect to application “Internet Explorer” if that is the most used.

Second biggest feature is the ‘File Search’ functionality. It not only suggests programs, but also file name. You can choose to ‘catalog’ a directory where you store your documents. By typing few characters, Blaze will suggest you set of files that you may want to open. Best match should more probably what you want to open. This could be your miniature program if you do not want the overhead of dedicated desktop search applications like ‘Windows Desktop Search’ and ‘Google Desktop Search’.

Now comes the cool feature. The program helps you type frequently types text with a short cut. For example, I type my post address in most emails to my family or friends, I can use Blaze to remember that text. I can store is under keyword (say) ‘address’. To type that text in any window next time, I press the key combination CTRL-ALT-SPACE to invoke Blaze. Then type ‘insert address’. insert is a command followed by the keyword. In the window I am in, say Notepad or Email, it will insert my address. Many other cases you will find it useful are for storing frequently typed phone numbers, or template in emails. I write lot of complaint letters to telecom and utility service providers. Most of the times I forget to add my account number or phone number. So, I prepare a template including my signature and contact number.

Next is the coolest of features. It is still not it perfect shape, but a leap towards ‘intelligent’ applications. Blaze keeps monitoring of key strokes you are pressing. If it sees a pattern or a cycle. For example, in an Excel sheet you are deleting every third row. So, you press ‘down arrow’ twice and press ‘delete’ a cell. Blaze recognizes and the tray icons becomes YELLOW. It is an indication, it sensed a pattern. You can press CAPS-LOCK twice and a window pops-up giving sequence and number of times you want to repeat it.

It is not easy to find Blaze EXE with simple google searches. You will get all except this application. Directly go to below link and start BLAZING !!

http://blaze-wins.sourceforge.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment